Friday 23 October 2015

Imperial Knight - Cerastus in manufactorum pt 10

As I reach double figures in the Cerastus in manufactorum series I do worry that it feels this has been dragged out a bit, although I'm aware progress has been well recieved and I appreciate all the comments to that effect. However, as the blog is less scheduled at the moment each post is pretty much 'this is what I did last/the other night'. Otherwise I'd have collated two or three sets of pics together in which case the blog would be less 'little and often' and more like once a week. Anyway, this was last nights progress and yes Monkeychuka the OCD kicked in and I had to paint some pipes, and now I want to paint more. I think a couple of bonewhite ones might break up the mass at the front, but I'm not sure if I should have done shtis after doing the verdigris as it may well screw up some of the pipe detail...


And this is all you see once the chest plates go on...? I kind of want to break up the colours on one of the plates, either by diagonal bonewhite stripe through the middle of the red, or halving it diagonally with yellow/black chevrons, what do you think?


I also got his undercarriage piping done, these match up with the ones I did for the Dark Angels Scouts. I did miss those two tine pipes on the back of hiships though, wil lhave to do those later. It does conjour up images of it being bitten on the arse by some kind of poisonous striped snake though!


The head has pipework stripes too.


And here's it together. I'm getting very close to the point where I have to start building the courage to do the verdigris. I know this will raise it another level but it's still a big risk but I've got my Reaver Titan out for reference. Although I didn't go quite the same red I can still be as economical with the verdigris as I was with the epic scale miniature - allowing real metallics and weathering to share the spotlight.


And I also managed to do remedial repairs on this Broodlord, I'd dropped him, breaking both his right arms off and chipping the spine vents. I used the opportunity to bring a few more reds into his liver/brown fleshy bits and will fix his tongue next.


So, steady but not amazing progress but this is the amount I'm getting done at the moment. I did really enjoy the session though. The other night I'd noticed that the computer desk feels a bit clammy so I've decided to always have the radiator on when I'm in the shed over the winter. It's not likely to keep the potential damp completely out of the shed but I think regular warmth can at least mitigate any problems. It was really cosy though, and it had started to rain so it was just a really nice place to be. When I decide to finish I switch off the main lights an put on a little spotlight which is much more pleasant and feels like a wind down [from the hectic high-adrenaline stakes in figure painting!].

Anyway, tomorrow the family and I are off to Disnelyand Paris, our first holiday abroad. It's only for four days but hopefully we'll have a great time, all of October is Hallowe'en themed. I should have still prepped a load of pictures from my Armies on Parade board that I set up last night at GW Southport but if it takes a couple of days to hear back from me don't worry, I've not been crushed under a mountain of old White Dwarfs. Have a great weekend, au revoir [yep that's all my GCSE french right there!]

Parts: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18

10 comments:

  1. Great progress. Not sure you need to do more pipes, expecially under the chest cowling the few you have done stand out well and more would blur the effect.
    The red on the chest seems ok as it is. Maybe add a transfer with mechanicus symbol if you feel it needs something.

    Looks like your on the how straight keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will keep it up although I have had a sudden urge to try and add some battle damage similar to an Eldar tank I saw in last week's White Dwarf, that should slow me down a bit.

      Delete
  2. You should do the pipes until you are happy. Is that possible? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me being happy? Probably but never 100% ;)

      Delete
  3. Greg makes a good point :)

    With regards to the white stripe/chevron conversation, are you doing it to fit in with the design of the model and what it would look like? For instance, is that normal from your reference material? I tend I add things like that because I like the way it looks, but I'm not always sure it fits with the tanks I paint on lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The white bits aren't actually part of the Raven colour scheme, I want to add it because I like it. Chevrons are Raven scheme, I added them because I thought it'd be cool, although I wasn't convinced it would be the best choice. So it's mostly what I want to do wrapped up a little bit in the fluff.

      Delete
  4. Wow, those pipes look good. It is amazing how they change the look of the model and add a little focal point to add depth and interest to the model

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks NafNaf, with so much indecision it's rewarding to have confirmation that a decision made was worth making/the right one.

      Delete